What is a uTorrent VPN?
When using a utorrent VPN, your original IP address & location will be hidden with the VPN server’s IP address& location visible online. Malicious entities looking to breach your VPN tunnel or the VPN server will be unable to access anything.
While downloading a file using uTorrent, your IP address is visible to other user’s (who can be anyone), your ISP and hackers (who may be hosting a malicious torrent). This exposure of user IP addresses and other location information can lead to more serious issues like a network data breach, fines & penalties (in case of copyright infringement), and network monitoring by ISP or legal authorities.
We verified our own IP address with and without the VPN connected. First, we checked on IPMagnet without the VPN and got our precise IP address listed(first sequence of IP address have been censored).
With the VPN connected were-ran the test on IP Magnet and as you can notice below the IP address has changed and the VPN server’s IP is clearly visible(first sequence of IP address have been censored).
In July 2016 uTorrent’s on-site forum was hacked affecting almost 390,000 registered members of the renowned torrent client. While a warning was issued to all members to secure their accounts by changing passwords, there is no doubt that a trove of user information was compromised in the breach.
The attack on uTorrent’s online community forum was an alarming event, alerting BitTorrent especially uTorrent users’ to consider online privacy & security tools when downloading torrents. To avoid events like the one mentioned above, utorrent users’ & torrent fans should consider using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) when downloading. We tested 5 Best uTorrent VPN provider with utorrent here is how they ranked with the torrent client:
5.0 / 5.0
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
4.5 / 5.0
| || |
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
How to Configure VPN for uTorrent
A uTorrent compatible VPN helps a user to secure personal identity and information successfully. The users can also secure themselves from ISPs, copyright owners and law enforcement agencies through VPN on uTorrent client. In order to configure VPN on your device for uTorrent, here is how you can do next:
- Select a VPN for your uTorrent client from a list mentioned above first of all.
- Create an account on the VPN provider’s official website.
- Now download the respective VPN app and install it on your device. For OpenVPN users, you can download the OpenVPN application.
- Connect your VPN to a torrent optimized server (Contact your VPN service provider for obtaining details on which server would be best suited for torrents).
- Fire up your torrent downloads!
- Always check IP leaks through IP Magnetto to make sure you are not exposing your real IP address. Enable Internet Kill-Switch if your VPN app provides such an option.
Cheap uTorrent VPN Providers
PureVPN is a Hong Kong based VPN service that offers the most economical pricing plans to its subscribers. The service also provides different features to users such as internet kill switch, 5 multi-logins, split tunneling and others. PureVPN is currently offering a 45% discount on its annual pricing package that can be obtained by the subscribers by paying $5.98 per month.
ExpressVPN is a VPN service known for its excellent customer service and solid uptime. The provider offers its services in 87 countries through 136 VPN servers operating all around the world. In addition, ExpressVPN is currently providing 35% discount on its annual subscription package. The subscribers can avail this pricing plan at the cost of $8.32 per month.
IPVanish is another VPN service that provides its services in 60+ countries through 700+ servers in the world. The provider offers various features like 256-bit AES encryption, unlimited bandwidth, 5 multi logins and others. IPVanish is providing its subscribers 46% discount on its yearly pricing plan. The users can avail this discount by paying $6.49 per month.
uTorrent with VPN on Mac
uTorrent is available on Mac and it is recommended to configure a VPN on Mac before downloading a torrent on Mac through uTorrent . Here is how you can install a uTorrent compatible VPN on your Mac devices:
- Go to apple menu then choose system preferences.
- Click “Network” under the heading of Internet & Network.
- You’ll see a list of network connection services, click on the “+” icon provided at the bottom left to create a new VPN connection.
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose a VPN.
- A new option ” VPN Type” will show up, choose a VPN protocol you wish to use from the drop down menu ( PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, etc.).
- Type the service name for the connection and click on Create.
- After creating a connection, enter your account name, server address, encryption and other information provided by the VPN service.
- Now enter the password under Authentication Settings. Note that you can enter the Shared Key under Authentication settings by selecting the L2TP
- Click Advance then check the option saying ” Send all traffic over VPN connection” and press OK.
- Now click Apply then press Connect to enjoy using a VPN on Mac for uTorrent.
uTorrent VPN Vs Proxy
BitTorrent users also use proxy servers for torrent downloading because a proxy server is supposedly faster and free as compared to a uTorrent compatible VPN service. However, it is not a secure and viable option since users are not able to protect their online identities and can sometimes cause your system or connection to be severely compromised. This is due to the fact that proxy servers are less trust-worthy than premium VPN services. We’ve made a brief comparison between the two for your convenience:
|S.No||VPN Service for uTorrent||Proxy Servers|
|1||A VPN offers anonymity via a protected alternate IP.||A proxy server acts as an intermediary between external network such as internet and internal network like private network.|
|2||A VPN also protects users from snoopers monitoring your internet traffic.||Does not provide online security and anonymity to users.|
|3||Often comes with added features like internet kill switch, multi-login, minimum speed loss and so on.||Users are dependent on proxy management programs for any options.|
|4||Encrypts your internet traffic|
Traffic routed through free proxies is not encrypted and susceptible to interception.
|5||A multitude of torrents optimized servers|
Unreliable speeds depending on the type of servers and the number of users using it.
How to Use uTorrent With VPN?
You can select from a huge range of VPN providers and other VPNs that allow torrent downloads over their servers. Usually, when downloading torrents your IP is visible to all users’ downloading the file at a particular moment. The table below demonstrates how uTorrent displays every utorrent peer’s IP address, location, and torrent client being used.uTorrent client displaying complete IP addresses, Torrent client in use and location of users.
To start using a VPN on uTorrent with your client here is what you do:
- Access reviews of the top 5 uTorrent VPN provider in the table above
- Subscribe to the service you consider convincing (always test providers with utorrent)
- Connect the VPN to a recommended torrent optimized server (contact your provider for details)
- Start a download on uTorrent, preferably a trending copyright movie or music album
- Check for IP leaks using IP Magnetto confirm you are not broadcasting your real IP
How to stop uTorrent download when VPN disconnects? There can be a number of reasons why a VPN service might disconnect from its server including latency, the server not responding etc. During this time, the user’s original IP is visible to other peers in the uTorrent client. To counter this, uTorrent VPN provider offer an add-on feature called the Internet Kill Switch.
As the name suggests, an Internet Kill Switch suspends all internet activity if the VPN connection is lost due to any reason. This allows you to keep your anonymity intact despite the connection being lost and the torrent download will resume once the VPN is connected.
VPN Service or Proxy Server – What to use for uTorrent?Torrent users also tend to use proxy servers for downloading torrents since they are free and a bit faster than VPN services. However, a proxy does not offer any security, anonymity or protection from ISP tracking and copyright notices. A VPN not only offers anonymity but also protects subscribers from all types of malicious attacks too.There are a number of reasons why torrent VPN services are better options to use with uTorrent clients, including:
- Multiple torrent optimized servers
- Minimum speed loss
- Zero log policies
- Data encryption
Why you need uTorrent VPN port forwarding
What is Port Forwarding?
Port Forwarding is usually a built-in feature in all router brands and is closely related to NAT or Network Address Translation services. Usually, a router assigns a local IP to all your online devices connected to a router these addresses normally fall in the range 192.168.0.x and so on. These are the private IP addresses of your devices;it is normally used when devices interact with the router and other devices on the same network.Similarly, when your devices connect to the internet through the router a single public IP address is assigned to all devices. Normally, different users’ make different requests for instance one requests Facebook, another requests Google and so on. Every device uses a certain port number from where data flows into the device.Since the same public IP requests data for all devices, NAT technology on the router sorts data packets based on the ports various devices are using. For example, my Android phone could be using port 2442 while my PC could be using port 4454 to make receive data from the internet. NAT will ensure that all relevant data is sent to respective devices based on these ports, thus these ports are open have been forwarded to the internet.
Port forwarding on uTorrentuTorrent uses a random port that is open every time you launch the software. To port forward and speed up your utorrent downloads with a utorrent VPN, first you will need to see if your torrent port is open. Begin by finding out your uTorrent’s listening port:
- Go to the Options menu
- Then click Preferences
- Select the Connection menu
- You will see the option “Port Used for Incoming Connections”
- This is the port your utorrent client is using to receive data from seeders
- Close your utorrent client before proceeding and note your listening port number
- To check if your utorrent listening port is open you can try several tools online (remember that these tests can also give you false-positives, try the Open Port Check by PortForward.com)
(Remember that these tests can also give you false-positives. You can also try the Open Port Check by PortForward.com, requires installation)
- If the port test results confirm open, then all incoming data is being routed directly to your PC. In case it does not test open consider contacting your VPN provider for help.
Screenshot for step no. 5
uTorrent VPN Provider for Android
Torrent fanatics who use Android devices to download torrents need to use a VPN because phone data is one of the most heavily sought out by hackers, ISPs, marketers and the NSA alike. To protect Android devices with VPN:
- Download the VPN provider’s Android app
- Launch and login to the app
- Connect to suggested torrent optimized servers (consult the provider’s support for P2P & torrent optimized server lists)
- You can now download torrents on your Android device with VPN
In a Nutshell
To safely download torrents using uTorrent, a VPN is the only possible tool that guarantees privacy &protection against ISP monitoring and copyright tracking. Secure your torrent downloads now, choose from our list of providers above and remember to trial VPN providers before you sign up for the long term.If you have any questions regarding using VPN on uTorrent, kindly leave your queries in the comments section below.