The PlayStation 4 is not a gaming console anymore, instead, Sony have designed it to be a complete media center solution for its owner. Not only does it contain a massive hard drive to store all your games rather than using a disk it also becomes a video streaming box, a music station or a simple internet browser to surf the internet.
A huge selection of apps on the PS store powers this next generation gaming machine, giving users’ the ultimate entertainment experience. But with all that said, the PS4 practically has no solutions for lingering online issues like DDoS attacks, geo-restrictions on various entertainment services, data hacks on the PS Network and region locked games.
I would have suggested other tools, but, during my years as a gamer the only tool that has proven their ability to resolve these issues are VPN (Virtual Private Networks).
5.0 / 5.0
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
4.5 / 5.0
| || |
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
How to Setup a VPN on PS4
Remember there are two easy ways to configure it:
- One is connecting your PS4 enabled Laptop hotspot
- Two configuring the VPN for PS4 on your router
But before setting up the PS4 VPN, you’ll need the following prerequisites:
- A PS4 VPN subscription& the VPN provider Windows app (check table above for options)
- A PlayStation 4 Console
- A Wi-Fi router for example TP-link, D-Link and Linksys etc.
- A laptop running Windows or a Mac OSx.
Once you have all these 4 things marked out on your checklist, you’re ready to set up your PS4 VPN.
Setting up Your PS4 VPN on Windows
Setting up your VPN for PS4 and sharing the VPN connection over Windows is simple and doesn’t require you to have any advanced knowledge of connection sharing. Follow our simple guide below to quickly setup your PS4 VPN connection using the Network & Sharing Center.
- Launch your PS4 VPN app for Windows
- Connect to your desired VPN gaming server(e.g. USA, UK, Germany, Netherlands,Malaysia)
- Connect your PS4 console to your PC with a LAN cable
- Go to Control Panel >Network and Sharing Center
- In the main Network Sharing Window you will see an icon for your PS-4 VPN connection.
- Click your VPN name next to Connections(As shown above)
- A new status box will open click on Properties, in the Properties settings go to Sharing
- Under the sharing tab, tick the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”
- Under the option ‘Home Networking Connection’, click to see the drop down menu with all your available internet connection listed below.
- Select your ISP connection, and select OK.
- You have now successfully shared your Internet Connection with the PS4.
Now we need to go to the PS4 console’s Settings to see if the shared connection is up to the task.
- Go to the PS4 Home screen and then go to Settings
- Now go to Network settings
- From the options shown select “Set-up A Connection”
- Now, select “Use a LAN Cable” when it come up
- Next select “Easy”, the set up will now start automatically and will detect your shared PS4 VPN connection automatically.
- Make sure to select “Do Not Use A Proxy Server”
- Now, simply accept all settings and then go back and “Test Connection” to check the connection stability
- Voila! you have successfully set-up your PS4 VPN using Windows
Using a VPN for PS3 for Netflix Streaming
Ever since the PlayStation store hosted the Netflix app for the PS3 and PS4 it has left the gaming console category and joined the entertainment console list. The Netflix app is available to download directly from the Play Station store and works in all countries that have an official Netflix mirror.
Like the website version of Netflix, the PS3 or PS4 version is also region restricted hence does not allow using the US Netflix library. This is where a VPN for PS3 comes in and does the same job as it does on a PC or mobile device.
In case you only use VPN for PS3/PS4to watch Netflix US or UK, then it is highly recommended that you configure the PS4 VPN on your router. This will save you the trouble of turning on the VPN every time and will always be configured to use a US VPN server.
How To Choose The Best VPN Services for the PS4 Console
Deciding which VPN service is best for your PlayStation 4 console is not a matter of reading reviews or taking someone’s recommendation for it. This requires proper testing over your broadband connection to ensure the PS4 VPN service is fast, provides ample privacy & security, and has a stable connection.
There are some factors that you should definitely consider before subscribing to a PS4 VPN. These include:
Servers Available Worldwide
Make sure your chosen PS4 VPN offers serves in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, Netherlands, and Singapore. These are very essential servers for most gamers who wish to buy new games and play certain FPS or MOBA titles.
24/7 Support Available
Having someone to support and assist you in time of peril is always amazing. Some providers offer their customer support all day throughout the year. Some PS4 providers even offer remote desktop support to ensure you don’t have to do anything.
Guides & Tutorials
Guides and tutorials are necessary for intermediate and advanced PS4 VPN users’ allowing them to easily configure their VPN service without much hassle. Usually most providers offer complete tested tutorials for gaming consoles to ensure PS4 owners are never left stranded in times of hurry.
Both times the PS4 network was DDoS’d was during the last two Christmas seasons, the busiest period for gamers around the world. While the 2014 attack by the lizard squad was stopped by Kim Dot Com, the 2015 attack continued for the holiday season.
A VPN can secure you from the DDoS attack but the PS4 network will still remain affected keeping you & your device safer. We recommend choosing Dedicated IP VPN providers to get the best security against DDoS attacks and data breaches.
High speed connectivity for gaming servers
Probably the most important of them all is the speed that you get after connecting through with a PS4 VPN service. Always consider either trialing or testing a VPN service before committing in the long run. Usually VPN providers for PS4 establish that your connection speed will fall by 25% to 45%.
In a Nutshell
We hope you find our guide helpful in setting up your brand new PS4 VPN. Secure your network from DDoS attacks, buy games from other regions and game online securely in different regions with only the best VPN for PS4 consoles.
DO let us know if you are having issues setting up your PS4 VPN, simply leave a comment below. If you have other queries or would like to see more guides just let us know in the section below.