PureVPN Review 2017
|5.0 / 5.0 User Ratings||141 |
|Hong Kong |
PureVPN Quick Summary
PureVPN is perhaps the most affordable among premium VPN services and offers a broad selection of servers located all over the world. It also offers a number of unique features such as support for torrent downloads, dedicated IPs and its internet kill-switch option. While it lacks in speed and performance sometimes, it makes up for it with affordable pricing, a customer-friendly option to allow multiple simultaneous logins and live support. We’ll cover the strengths and weaknesses in further detail in our comprehensive PureVPN review below.
Pros of PureVPN
- 5 multi logins
- Split Tunneling
- 24/7/365 Excellent customer support service
- Reasonable prices
- Secure internet connectivity and protection
- Impressive add on features
- Wide range of servers
- Compatibility with various devices
Cons of PureVPN
- No free trial
- Server Waiting during Peak Hours
During our PureVPN review process, three features really stood out that we consider unique competencies; those being exclusive Torrent servers, Split Tunneling features and the internet kill-switch.
Torrent Supported Servers
PureVPN hosts exclusive turbo speed servers for torrent downloads, allowing users from all over the world to securely use torrents without worrying about DMCA notices & copyright monitoring via suspicious trackers.
Split Tunneling is a networking term used when a user can access two different domains at the same time. This simply means that users can access the public internet and a restricted private network at the same time.
Once the user connects using the PureVPN app and turns on the Split Tunneling feature, all requests for Google services & Facebook etc. will now pass through the ISP domain, activities like online banking, Netflix and uTorrent will pass through the secure VPN server domain.This ensures that all your online banking will be highly secured, allowing no one to access this activity. Benefits of PureVPN’s Split Tunneling include:
- Reduced overall bandwidth consumption
- Latency intensive apps will run better
- Better overall network performance
Possibly one of the most essential features of PureVPN’s Windows app is its “Internet Kill Switch”. This feature was added to counter the sudden connection failures sometimes experienced by VPN apps.
In countries like the US, Saudi Arabia, UK, Germany, Turkey, Australia and a few others being exposed due to a VPN disconnection can be very costly. In case your VPN connection drops, PureVPN’s Internet Kill Switch disconnects all internet traffic and stops all online activities ensuring no one can notice you while you are unsecured.
PureVPN offers its services in three affordable packages, with all three pricing plans offering complete service features. Pricing plans are as follows:
- 1 Month Plan offered for $10.95/month
- 6 Months Plan at $8.95/month
- 24 Months plan for $3.25/month
While the monthly and 6 month plans are great for prospect users’ who have time limited requirements, the 24 months plan is not only a best seller but also the ideal choice for those looking for complete privacy & data security in the long run.
Accepted Payment Methods For PureVPN
PureVPN accepts a wide variety of payment merchants to accommodate prospect subscribers from around the world. After contacting their marketing team, we concluded that the brand actually pays immense attention to their customer reviews. PureVPN accepts payment through the following merchants:
- Gift Cards
The provider also accepts payments through more than 10 Gift Card merchants.
PureVPN Servers Review
PureVPN offers over 750 high speed servers in 140+ countries. Servers have been placed in all seven continents allowing subscribers to browse the internet without facing any online geo-restrictions. The website offers the following server statistics and a detailed Pure VPN review of servers:
Speed Tests of PureVPN’s Servers
While reviewing PureVPN we tested five different servers using Ookla’s flash based Broadband Speed Test. We tried 3 servers each from the USA, UK, Netherlands, France & Germany. From each region’s tests we picked out the best one. The high ping recorded from the US servers is largely due to distance from our location.
|US||Houston||6.56 mbps||51 ms|
|UK||Gloucester||8.41 mbps||50 ms|
|Netherland||Amsterdam||6.95 mbps||76 ms|
|France||Paris||7.19 mbps||54 ms|
|Germany||Munich||8.54 mbps||65 ms|
PureVPN’s Protocols & Encryption In Review
PureVPN offers 6 different tunneling protocols including full support for OpenVPN to secure user activities:
- Stealth Protocol (Latest)
Usually you will find providers offering up to 3 or 4 tunneling protocols. The provider offers an arsenal of tunneling technologies to address the differing needs of subscribers. For instance, those who want to securely connect to business servers can use the L2TP/IPSec protocol while streaming fans can use PPTP blazing fast speeds. We also noted that both 128bit and 256bit data encryption were used depending on which tunnelling protocol you connected through.
Apps & Compatibility Review
With strong support for over 50 different devices and 8 different operating systems, PureVPN offers dedicated apps for Windows, Linux, Mac OSx on their website; plus mobile apps which are available on the Google Play & Apple stores.
Speaking of Linux OS and its distros… Subscribers can either manually configure the service using the illustrated step by step guide available on PureVPN’s website knowledge base or simply install the OpenVPN client to get all servers in one place.
Also available on the support section of the website are a number of guides to configure the VPN service on a range of routers, gaming consoles and streaming boxes to ensure none of your devices are left unsecured.
The Windows App
Released in September 2015, the PureVPN Windows Dialer is an upgrade to the previous slower application. The new PureVPN Windows application now offers:
- A new improved & attractive User Interface
- 2 new Privacy Modes to make PureVPN easier to use
- A sleeker simpler design
- New dashboard
- Upgraded servers list
- Faster app connectivity
Using PureVPN On Windows 10
You may experience some functionality issues since the PureVPN Windows 10 app is in its Beta test stages. We recommend setting up the VPN connection manually until the Win10 version of the app is out of beta.
PureVPN’s Android App
The last time we reviewed PureVPN we noted that the Android version was the step child that dearly needed a total makeover. Poor connectivity, disconnections, poor security and frequent crashes were all part of the PureVPN Android app. The latest release of PureVPN for Android has now been optimized to work with Android Nougat and like its family members is now sleeker and simpler to use. Other new updates to the Pure VPN Android app include:
- Support in Arabic, Turkish, Spanish and Chinese languages
- Marking Favorite servers while connecting
- FAQ Integration into the app
- A new re-designed purchase screen with the addition of the 6 months Package
- Auto-connect VPN when on untrusted & unsecure public Wi-Fi networks
- Auto connect option on mobile phone reboot
- Android Widget
- Internet Kill switch feature
- Mode screen changed
- Multi-Port Tunneling
The first thing that I noticed with the Android app was its stability and no server disconnections. Although it did disconnect after 45 minutes, the new PureVPN android app has not crashed on my device yet. The Android app also navigates faster without previous animation glitches.
PureVPN’s Mac App
Another caveat from our last review of PureVPN was the Mac app, which wasn’t exactly very functional with the latest updates to the OS. Thankfully, the newly revamped Mac app now comes with a sleek interface for both dashboard and the Settings menu, plus it is now fully compatible for Mac OSx Sierra.
Other major changes include the FAQ Integration into the Mac app allowing users to immediately get solutions to their issues or guides to understand the app better. The new release also makes the app easier to navigate and go around for new subscribers. New purpose icons and a new privacy mode have been added to the app allowing you to use automatic configuration if uncertain.
One feature that I did miss in PureVPN’s Mac app was the Connect/Disconnect option in the status bar, this has now been included for instant notifications. Possibly the best option added to the upgraded Mac app is the Stealth VPN protocols for Mac users. This not only enhances their privacy but doubles the security of data using two VPN protocols & encryption rather than one. The PureVPN Mac app is now available on the official website. The new PureVPN Mac app offers:
- SSTP tunneling protocol for safer browsing, streaming and torrent downloading
- Added language support in Dutch, German and French
- Military Grade 256bit encryption for all connections
- Improved and faster user interface
Setting Up PureVPN: How Easy Is It?
You can pretty much easily install the app on all supported platforms, however, we’ve listed down the steps to set up the application for your operating system of choice to show just how simplified the process is:
PureVPN Setup on Windows
To install the PureVPN Windows app on PC follow our simple step by step guide:
- Subscribe to a premium PureVPN account from their website
- Download PureVPN Windows setup from the website’s download page
- Launch the setup file and choose where you want to install PureVPN
- Once completed choose “Launch PureVPN” and click “Finish”.
- Insert your Username & Password from the signup email you’ll have received and then click “Login”.
- After logging in, you will see 5 distinct modes. Choose your desired mode and click “Next”.
- The New PureVPN dialer should now be successfully connected.
Setup for Mac
- Subscribe to a premium PureVPN account from their website
- Download the PureVPN Mac app from their download page
- Install the app and launch it
- Fill in your Username & Password from the signup email you’ll have received
- Choose your VPN mode
- Choose your desired regional VPN server
- Click connect and you’re in!
Setup on Mac Manually (we setup using the L2TP Protocol Setup)
- Go to “System Preferences”
- Click “Network”
- Click the “+” icon on the bottom left
- A new box will pop-up, Click the “Interface box” and a drop down menu will appear
- Click “VPN” from the drop down menu
- Click “VPN Type” and select L2TP over IPSec
- Name the service PureVPN L2TP, now click Create
- In the new window, type the Server address box your desired server name (server addresses are available on PureVPN’s support)
- Fill in your username in “Account Name” box
- Tick the “Show VPN status in menu bar” option
- Next, click the “Authentication Settings” button
- Fill in your PureVPN account password in “Password” box and 12345678 in “Shared Secret ” box, then click OK
- Now click “Advanced ” on the bottom right
- Tick “Send all traffic over VPN connection” , then click ok
- Finally, click “Apply” to complete setup
- Now click “Connect”
- You should now be connected to PureVPN
Manual Setup for Android
- Tap on Settings
- Go to Wireless & Networks , then click More
- Scroll down and tap on VPN
- Tap on “+” Icon (usually on the top right)
- Fill in the following details in the new settings window:
- Name: PureVPN (Enter your ‘Provider Name’ here, we are using PureVPN)
- Type: PPTP (Select relevant protocol, we have chosen PPTP)
- Server Address: US1.PureVPN.net (Enter server address, contact provider for a list)
- Uncheck: PPP encryption (MPPE)
- Complete the process and tap on save
- Tap on the newly created PureVPN PPTP Connection
- Provide your Username and Password (contact provider) and hit connect
PureVPN’s Customer Support
When reviewing PureVPN’s customer support we found their support staff to be among the best in the industry. Our PureVPN review gives full marks to the provider’s excellent customer support and defines them in three phrases courteous, technically sound and always available.
Support services are offered through three channels, namely:
- 24/7 on-site Live Chat
- Support Tickets , and
- On-site FAQ & Knowledge base
For the crediblity of our Pure VPN review we proceeded to test all available support channels and found none of them lacking. The live chat option was simply top-notch, not only did we get attention and time but also a complete solution of a DNS leak problem we came across.
If the provider’s uncompromising tunneling & encryption wasn’t enough, PureVPN is an Absolutely Zero Logs provider supported by the lenient privacy laws of Hong Kong. User logs are scrapped every 24 hours off PureVPN servers, providing subscribers “complete anonymity online”. Do remember that connection times are logged and kept to provide customer support.
Registration information required for PureVPN includes:
- Email Address, and
- Phone Number (for select few countries)
- Resend login credentials
- Update subscribers on policies
- Inform customers about industry developments
- Inform customers on discounts & special offers
During our PureVPN review we tested the provider’s claims of retaining no logs by downloading terabytes of copyright material and never received a notice from the ISP.Frequently Asked Questions About PureVPN
Q: Does PureVPN Work With KODI Media Player?
A: Gaining great fame in the past few years is the brilliant KODI media player now available for all major operating systems including Mac, Windows, iOS and Android plus many other streaming devices. PureVPN does not offer a dedicated add-on for Kodi, but can be used like Kodi VPN to unblock channels from US, UK, Germany, Italy, France and many other European countries.
Q: How do I Install PureVPN on Kodi (XBMC)?
A: Kodi operates on OpenVPN port 1194 therefore you should configure OpenVPN first. To configure OpenVPN, you will have to change the .ovpn configuration file and use WinSCP. Here is a simple guide on how to setup PureVPN on OpenELEC/XBMC/Kodi:
- First of all download WinSCP and OpenVPN files
- Create a new text file pass.txt on your desktop and mention VPN username along with password
- Make sure you provide Username in the first line while Password in the second line
- Open your respective OVPN file which you have downloaded then edit the below mentioned lines in the file.
- tls-authto tls-auth /storage/.config/Wdc.key 1
- ca ca.crtto ca /storage/.config/ca.crt
- auth-user-passto auth-user-pass /storage/.config/pass.txt
- Now your OVPN file should look like this and save it
- Begin WinSCP and transfer Ca.crt, WDC.KEY, OVPN file and Pass.txt to .config folder
- Remember – The username is “root” by default and password is “openelec“
- Begin WinSCP Open terminal from commands menu
- Use this command openvpn/storage/.config/Your-OVPN-Filename.ovpn
- Click execute and wait 5 seconds to connect
- You can verify your IP using the command curl ifconfig.me
- You can also install any browser from program repo
Q: Which Servers are Fastest When Using PureVPN?
A: You can test the speed of fastest PureVPN servers using the provider’s built-in speed test tool. This tool allows users to determine which servers are fastest to connect through. This tool is already available and has been integrated in PureVPN apps.
Subscribers can easily connect to PureVPN’s fastest servers with the help of this tool without any hassle. All you need to do is to use “Location & purpose” feature in app to connect to fastest servers. Read through the exclusive PureVPN Review of the provider’s servers above to know more about fastest servers.
Q: Does PureVPN Work In China?
A: PureVPN is one of the very few providers who still host servers within mainland China. In addition, it is also one of the few providers that offer online privacy services to Chinese netizens. After a complete ban on western based social networks and news resources in the country, it is impossible to bypass the Chinese government’s Golden Shield Project.
PureVPN is one of the few providers who still challenge the Great Firewall of China and still provide Chinese internet users’ online freedom and anonymity. Currently there are 3 major servers based within China that netizens can use to secure their IP address and location:
Each server accommodates 120 IP addresses and all are shared IPs too, so no chance of getting pointed out by the Chinese internet police. The provider offers servers in Hong Kong (2 servers in Fanling & Hong Kong city) and Taiwan (2 servers in Taipei & Taoyuan) for Chinese netizens to use to bypass the Great Firewall. Do remember that not all server & tunneling protocols will work fast in China; trial and error is the way to go. Read our best vpn for china guide.
Check out the servers section of this PureVPN review for server addresses and setup.
Q: Does PureVPN Work On Netflix?
A: PureVPN offers super speed streaming servers to stream live TV, movies and TV shows from around the world. However, the service currently does not unblock the US version of Netflix according to our tests. We have reached out to their support to ask if there are any possible solutions for Netflix streaming in the future and will update with their response.
In spite of this, PureVPN is still an excellent choice for subscribers of HBO Now, NowTV, SkyTV, HULU, ESPN, NBC, BBC iPlayer and many other streaming services from around the world.
Q: Where To Get The PureVPN Android APK?
A: While the Android app is available from the Google Play Store, you can always download the provider’s Android apk directly from the official website’s download page. The website also offers apk files for older versions in case the new app is misbehaving or not installing properly.
Q: How to Refund or Claim Money Back on PureVPN?
A: PureVPN maintains a proper 7 Days Money Back Guarantee for all new subscriptions. To qualify for the money back the user must meet certain criteria including:
To qualify for the 7 Day Money Back Guarantee, the following conditions should be met:
- The refund claim should be made with 7 Days of subscription
- The subscriber should not be suspended by the company in the past
- No more than 3 GB of data has been used up by the subscriber, or, the user has not exceeded 100 sessions i.e. the number of times servers have been connected and changed. Whichever comes first
- The subscriber has not previously claimed a refund under this policy
There is also A proper refund policy, so do bear in mind that all conditions given legally apply. Read the full refund policy here.
Q: How do I Uninstall PureVPN?
A: If you have discontinued your subscription and want to uninstall the apps from your devices, simply follow the steps given below.
How to Uninstall PureVPN from Windows
To uninstall PureVPN from your Windows PC:
- Go to the Control Panel >Programs and Features
- A list of programs will appear, scroll down and find PureVPN
- Right click on the app name and click uninstall
- Once the uninstall is complete , restart your PC
Q: How to Uninstall PureVPN from Android
A: To uninstall the PureVPN app from Android:
- Go to Settings > Apps
- Scroll down to PureVPN in the list and click on the App name
Click the uninstall button and it should now be removed from your device
Q: How many devices does PureVPN work on?
A: As mentioned earlier in this review, one subscription can be used on 5 devices simultaneously without the problem of disconnecting over one. There is no restriction for these 5 devices and they can be mobiles, tablets or PCs. PureVPN can also be configured on routers and allows connectivity up to 20 devices.
PureVPN Review Final Verdict
To conclude our PureVPN review, it is one of the leading VPN providers we have tested as of January 2017. It offers a wide range of services and features that are not available with other VPN providers so far. Equipped with robust security features, redesigned user interface, all coupled with exceptional performance, PureVPN, in our opinion is highly recommended!We rate PureVPN a solid 5 out of 5 stars.