Gmail is the most used email service provider in the world with over 900 million users visiting the service to keep in contact with work, friends and family every day. In 2014, the Gmail smartphone app recorded 90.7 million users accessing Gmail from all over the world at one time, it is estimated that 75% of Gmail users access the service from their mobile devices.
This may come as a shock but a massive number of Chinese netizens use Gmail from China. For years Chinese netizens have asked the question, can I use Gmail in China? Yes, Chinese internet users can easily access the service without having to worry about the Great Firewall and the Chinese Internet Police.
Guide: How to Unblock Gmail in China – Easy Steps
Here is the setup process of VPN on Windows PC:
1. Go to system tray and right click on it to see Open Network and Sharing Center.
2. Click on Setup a new connection or Network from the left hand menu and choose Connect to workspace.
3. Choose use My Internet Connection (VPN) and then mention server address (request provider for server address), type the name of VPN connection.
4. Mark on Allow other people to use this connection, set it up now so I can connect later option too.
5. Click Next and enter your username along with password and click Create. The Connection is ready to use a confirmation message will appear on your screen.
6. Scroll Network and Sharing Centre Window and click Change Adapter Settings.
7. Right click on VPN connection just created and click on it properties.
8. Go towards security tab and choose PPTP(Point to Point Tunneling Protocol)
9. Networking tab should be scrolled and then uncheck TCP/IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) including File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network, click OK now.
10. Go to Network Connection Window, right click on connection and click the connect button.
11. Verification and authentication message will be displayed now before connection is created.
12. After connecting, you will be able to see an icon connected to system tray. Have fun!
Guide: How to Setup VPN in China on iOS
To setup VPN on your iOS device follow our step by step guide below:
- Go to the Settings menu of your device then go to General>VPN> Add VPN Connection.
- Select from PPTP or IPSec tunneling protocols and enter a name for connection in description.
- Enter the server address (request provider) in server field and your credentials in account and password field respectively.
- Send All Traffic switch must be turned on then click save.
- Your VPN connection is now ready to connect, go to Settings and click VPN.
- Click Status switch to connect to the VPN and experience complete online freedom.
Unblock Gmail in China With VPN
Chinese netizens can securely bypass the Great Firewall & evade the Chinese Internet Police to access Gmail using a Virtual Private Network:
5.0 / 5.0
| || |
4.7 / 5.0
| || |
7 day moneyback guarantee
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
The Great Firewall of China blocks off all online requests made for foreign based communication services like Gmail and blocks them instantly. A China VPN service allows Chinese internet users to bypass the Great Firewall, using what is known as a secure and encrypted tunnel.
Once under the protection of the VPN your IP address is secured by the VPN server. The VPN server hides your original IP address by replacing it with one of its own IP addresses. For example, if you connect to a Singapore VPN server, your IP will be replaced by one from Singapore.
Screenshot of Ivacy VPN’s Windows App, Notice the IP Address is fetched from the Luxemburg Server
Here is the list of providers in descending order with the most US Servers:
|VPN Service||Server Locations||Price|
|ExpressVPN||136 + Servers in 87 Countries||as low as $8.32/ Month|
|PureVPN||500+Servers in 141 countries||as low as $4.99/ Month|
|Buffered||VPN Servers in 34 Countries||as low as $8.25/Month|
|Ivacy||250+ Servers in 100 Countries||as low as $ 2.50/month|
|NordVPN||300+Servers in 50 Countries||as low as 5.75/month|
How to Access Gmail in China
If you want to setup VPN then make sure you have selected one of the best Chinese VPN described above.
In China you can unblock & access Gmail in 2 simple steps on PC & Mac, given you have already subscribed to VPN service. If you haven’t yet, consider the options provided in our exclusive VPN review table above. Once you have signed up, install your Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS app on your device then let’s unblock Gmail.
Activate your VPN app and connect it to any server in the USA, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong etc.
Open up a new web browser (clean the cache and history just to be cautious). You will now be able to access your Gmail account and create a new account without having to worry about being blocked out by the Great Firewall.
Precautions To Take When You Access Gmail in China
Although you will be able to access China Gmail without having to worry about the Internet police and Great Firewall, there are certain precautions you must take when you have unblocked Gmail. Always make sure you take certain measures:
- Always choose a VPN provider that offers Internet Kill Switch & Auto Reconnect features
- Always keep you VPN on when accessing foreign email, communication and social services in China
- Always choose a VPN provider based outside China. The Chinese government keeps logs of all VPN services operating in Mainland China.
- Log out of social media apps & accounts, email accounts and websites that you have unblocked using VPN.
- Remember to clear your PC & smartphone caches after using the service.
Which Google Services are Blocked in China?
The Chinese government has blocked all Google services, here is the list of these services:
- Google Apps For Work
- Google Hangouts
- Google Docs
- Google Bookmarks and many more
In a Nutshell
Hope you like our guide to unblock and access Gmail in China. If you have any questions or requests simply leave us a message in the comments section below. Do share our guide with other users living in China or visiting on vacation.