Facebook is “the” social network of this age, powered by its 1.8 billion users’ throughout the world. Presently, there are 63.5 million active Chinese users on Facebook, but sadly the social network is still blocked in China since 2009 thanks to the Chinese government’s Great Firewall (GFWC). In addition to that, there are over 200,000 internet policemen who monitor all unsecure users’ who try to access Facebook through Chinese ISPs.
But wait, didn’t I just say there are 63.5 million Facebook users in China?
Chinese netizens who are practically in love with Facebook use a common software solution to go around the GFWC to access Facebook. These software or unblocking tools called VPN or Virtual Private Networks are the most effective tools to securely access Facebook and other blocked social networks in China.
We tested the top ranking VPN and found the following providers that unblock Facebook in China.
5.0 / 5.0
4.5 / 5.0
| || |
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
So Facebook, instagram, twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube are all blocked in China. How do people even know about me here? Lmao ?
— ookay (@Ookay) December 7, 2016
How to Access Facebook in China
Internet laws imposed on Facebook in China completely block access to Facebook, while the Chinese internet police monitor Chinese netizens who try to access the social network. Using a VPN service Chinese users’ can bypass internet censorship and easily access Facebook successfully.
PureVPN’s Easy to Use Windows App (Mac, iOS and Android apps also available)
A VPN hides your real IP address and also encrypts the web traffic to ensure no one including your ISP, the Chinese internet police and the Great Firewall cannot interrupt your online activities. Chinese nationals can unblock Facebook in China and access the internet anonymously with the VPN.
To unblock Facebook using your PC (Windows & Mac) browser here is what to do:
- Clear your browser cookies
- Activate your VPN app and connect to a Singapore or Hong Kong server (these will be fast for China)
- Wait for the VPN server to connect, then check your new IP address on WhatIsMyIPAddress
- Go to your browser address bar and access Facebook
- You should now be able to access Facebook & all its features
Facebook in China for Tourists & Expats
If you are travelling to China or are relocating to the country as an expat remember to have the following on your smart-phone(s) and tablet PC(s) preinstalled:
- Facebook app for Android or iOS depending which one you have
- A VPN subscription
- Best VPN For China app (you can also configure the service manually)
ExpressVPN’s Renowned Windows App
Once in China’s cyberspace you will not be able to access any website without a VPN, so make sure you have all your favorite social apps and VPN apps already installed. Make sure you keep your VPN connected at all times on PC, smartphone and on tablet PC even on your home broadband connection.
Tourists & Expats should be especially careful when using social networking apps on public WI-FI networks (coffee shops, shopping malls, airports etc.) and mobile 3G/4G networks. Never access Facebook, Twitter, Google services and other social networks without your VPN on.
In accordance to Chinese internet legislation your internet connection can be terminated, in addition to fines being imposed.
How to Use Facebook in China On iPhone
According to a report from the China Internet Network Information Center, China is home to the largest number of iPhone users in the world, close to 132 million (16.8% of 780 million smartphone users). It’s fair to say netizens didn’t choose the iPhone to use as alarm clocks. Since China blocks all Apple services and social networks, it renders the iPhone quite useless in China.
Chinese iPhone owners can however unblock all restrictions placed by the Chinese government to access Facebook and all other blocked services from within China with a VPN. Here is how to setup your iPhone VPN to access Facebook in China:
- Go to Settings > General > VPN
- Now click on Add VPN Configuration.
- Select Type from IKEv2 (recommended) or IPSec
- Enter the following details
- Description – Give your VPN a name
- Server – Enter a server address (request the provider for a list, use one from Singapore or Hong Kong)
- Remote ID – Leave box empty
- Local ID – Leave box empty
- User Authentication – leave this option unchanged
- Username – Enter your VPN account username
- Password – Enter your VPN account password
- Click Done on the top right to save your VPN configuration
- Once you have saved the new VPN connection click the On/Off toggle button to activate and deactivate the VPN.
Remember that China blocks the PPTP and L2TP protocols you won’t be able to connect through them.
How to Use Facebook in China on Android
The Chinese netizens need to install VPN on Android first to access Facebook in China. Here is how users can install VPN on Android:
- From the main menu go to Settings > Wireless and Network
- Tap on More, now tap on VPN
- Tap on the “ +” button on the top right
- In the Name box – enter a name for your VPN
- From the Type box choose between PPTP (recommended), L2TP & IPSec protocols
- In the Server Address box – enter the VPN server you wish to connect to (contact provider for a server list)
- Uncheck the PPP Encryption (MPPE) and click SAVE
- You should now see your new VPN connection listed, tap the VPN connection a new box will pop open
- Provide your :
- Lastly, tick the Save account information option
- Tap the VPN connection just created and tap CONNECT
I really think the most inconvenient thing in China is I have to visit YouTube, Facebook, Twitter with VPN
— Shia Majer (@MajerShia) February 22, 2015
As the Chinese government tightens its grip on foreign social networks like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter there is not much Chinese internet users’ can do but use firewall circumvention tools. As a recommendation always secure yourself with a VPN in China when using Facebook, Gmail and other foreign based social networking services.
Choose from our list of tested and reviewed VPN to unblock Facebook in China. If you have any problems drop us a comment below and do remember to add us on Twitter @VPNBest for more guides & latest privacy news.