In the world of online entertainment and cord cutting, Apple TV provides you unlimited amount of content to stream online. Listed among the very best set-top-boxes you can choose from, Apple TV allows you to convert your regular HDTV into a Smart TV.
You can use Apple TV to watch your favorite TV shows, latest movies, documentaries, sports and news, listen to music, play games and much more. This is achieved by the popular streaming apps that power Apple TV, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, SHOWTIME, NBA, MLB, CNN Go, YouTube, and ESPN.
Since majority of these apps are geo restricted and are only accessible within United States, it’s almost obligatory that you use a VPN for Apple TV. Having said that, setting up VPN on Apple TV can be a bit tricky; so to help you out, here is a complete guide on how to setup VPN on Apple TV.
How to Setup VPN on Apple TV
Since Apple TV does not allow you to configure a VPN directly onto the device, you will have to choose from the following the three options:
- Setup VPN on Wireless Router & connect Apple TV
- Setup VPN on your Computer & share your VPN connection with Apple TV
- Use VPN on Apple TV via AirPlay
Step 1: Select the Best VPN for Apple TV
The first step towards unblocking all the geo restricted apps on Apple TV is to choose a VPN service. Below listed are some of the best VPN services you can use for Apple TV. With the help of these VPNs, you can unblock apps on Apple TV apps from anywhere in the world.
5.0 / 5.0
4.7 / 5.0
| || |
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
Step 2: Setup VPN on Apple TV
Once you have selected a VPN service from above, the next step is to configure the VPN onto Apple TV. You will have to select one of the three options we mentioned earlier. To help you out, we have explained all three methods so that you can choose the best option or the one that meets your needs.
Setup VPN on Wireless Routers & Connect Apple TV
One of the easiest ways to setup Apple TV VPN is through flash routers. This is because all your devices connected over Wi-Fi network will have VPN connection, including Apple TV.
There are various VPN routers you can use such as DD-WRT, Asus, Belkin, TP-Link, Tomato, D-link, and Netgear Genie. You can also check out these 5 best VPN routers to narrow down your search.
Setting up VPN on all these routers is easy and you can find tutorials for configuration for each these routers. Since majority of the VPN routers run DD-WRT firmware, we decided to focus our setup on DD-WRT routers as they have an easy-to-use interface and are compatible with almost every VPN service.
- Connect your router with the cable modem using Ethernet cable.
- Next, go to ‘Basic Setup’ tab from your DD-WRT control panel.
- Now select the protocol you want use from ‘Connection Type’ dropdown menu.
- Do make sure that the ‘Use DHCP’ is selected to ‘Yes’.
- Now enter the login credentials (username & password), server address (Gateway), and other information provided by your VPN service.
- Once you have entered these details, scroll down and make sure that ‘DHCP’ server is enabled.
- Now click ‘Apply Settings’ and then ‘Save’.
Setup VPN on Computer & Share VPN Connection with Apply TV
The second method that you can use to setup VPN on Apple TV is by sharing your VPN connection. To make this work, you will first have to configure a VPN on your Windows PC or Mac, and then share the VPN connection with Apple TV.
Setting up VPN on your laptop or desktop PC is very easy. Majority of VPN services provide their own exclusive VPN software for Windows and Mac. So you just have to download the software and run the VPN with the server of your choice.
Next, you will have to share your VPN connection with your Apple TV. This can be achieved through two ways: use an Ethernet cable or turn your PC / laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot. Below we have explained the process for sharing your VPN connection on Windows or Mac.
How to Share VPN Connection on Windows
- Connect your Apple TV with your Windows laptop or PC using an Ethernet cable or wireless network.
- Open ‘Control Panel’ and click on ‘View network status and tasks’ under Network and Internet.
- Now click on ‘Change Adapter Settings’ from the left side bar.
- Next, right click on the VPN connection and go to ‘Properties’.
- Go to ‘Sharing’ tab. Check the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection’.
- Now click on dropdown menu under ‘Home network connection’ and select the connection (Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) through which you want to connect your Apple TV with.
- Once this is done, click ‘Ok’ and your VPN connection will be shared.
How to Share VPN Connection on Mac
- Connect your Apple TV with your Mac using an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi network.
- Open ‘System Preferences’ from Apple menu and click on ‘Sharing’.
- Now select ‘Internet Sharing’ from the left side bar.
- Next, select your connection from ‘Share your connection from’ dropdown menu.
- Now select how you want to share your connection from ‘To computer using’ list. You can choose ‘AirPort’ if the Apple TV is connect via Wi-Fi or ‘Ethernet’ if it’s connected via Ethernet cable.
- Once this is done, you will see ‘Internet Sharing’ status as ‘On’ and your VPN connection will be shared.
Use VPN on Apple TV with AirPlay
AirPlay is a revolutionary feature available in all the latest iOS and Mac versions. It allows you to mirror content from your Mac or iOS devices directly onto the screen connected with Apple TV. If you are using an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), follow these steps to use a VPN on Apple TV via AirPlay:
- Activate AirPlay on your Apple TV by going to ‘Settings’ and then switch ‘On’ AirPlay.
- Next, connect your Apple TV and iOS device with the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now access the ‘Control Center’ on your iOS device and then tap on ‘AirPlay’.
- You will now see the name of the Apple TV you wish to connect, tap on it.
- Tap on ‘Mirroring’ to switch it ‘On’. Now you should be able to see content shown on your iOS device onto your Apple TV as well.
- Now connect to the VPN service on your iOS device.
- Once connected to a VPN, use your iOS device and unblock any website or app you wish to use. The videos you stream will be shown on Apple TV.
If you are using Mac, then connect to your VPN service and then click on the ‘AirPlay’ from Safari or QuickTime Player. This way you will be able to unblock all geo restricted websites and apps, and mirror content of Mac onto your Apple TV.
Here is quick look at AirPlay and what else you can do with it:
Step 3: Enjoy Unlimited Streaming on Apple TV
Now that you have selected a VPN for Apple TV and configured it using one of the methods mentioned above, it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the world of unlimited online streaming. A VPN unblocks all geo restricted apps such as Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, NBA, and much more from anywhere in the world.
Just make sure that you are connected to the correct server before accessing the blocked service. For instance, if you want to access US based apps such as Hulu or NFL, make sure you are connected to the US server.
The latest generation of Apple TV makes your online streaming experience even easier than before. With Siri at the helm, all your searches and viewing options are just a voice command away.
Offering hundreds and thousands of content to stream online and hosting all the popular streaming apps, Apple TV is the ultimate solution for anyone looking to cut the cord.
However, with geo restrictions and internet censorship being a thorn in your online streaming experience, you should use a VPN. We have listed some of the best VPN providers in our post and also showed you three ways through which you can setup VPN on Apple TV. Using anyone of these methods, you can say goodbye to geo restrictions and use Apple TV from anywhere on earth.