Amazon Fire TV Stick is a portable USB device developed by Amazon to enhance the HD video streaming experience of cord cutters. Amazon Fire TV Stick offers over 4,000 VoD sources, however since the device is US specific most apps are geo-restricted when accessed outside the country. A Fire TV VPN is necessary to unblock apps including Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu etc. When using the Fire TV outside US.
Amazon Fire TV Stick also gives access to favorite video streaming, music, reading and many other subscription based services through built-in apps. You can watch over 25000 TV shows and movies using more than 100 subscriptions based services.
In September 2016, Amazon announced the release of the latest version of its Fire TV Stick that you can pre-order now. The shipping of orders will begin from October 20, 2016.
This is where you will require an Fire TV VPN to unblock apps for different regions. For instance, if you wish to use US based apps like HBO Now, HULU or Netflix simple connect your Fire TV Stick VPN with a US server. This will change your location virtually to the respective US city and replace your IP address with one from the US.
How to setup an Amazon Fire TV VPN Without Root
Setting up a Fire TV VPN requires you to configure the service directly on the router or installing apps using Apps2Fire. There are two prerequisites that you need to confirm before setting up a VPN on the router, and, are necessary for your Amazon Fire TV VPN to work.
1 – Subscribe to an Amazon Fire TV VPN (We have used PureVPN for our Guide)
2 – Change your Amazon account location to US
• After logging in your Amazon account, Click on ” Your Account” tab
- Now click on “Manage your Content and Devices”
- Click on settings tab and then go to ” Country Settings” and select country to United States
- Mention your US address and details or you can provide a dummy address as well
Follow our illustrated guide below to setup your Amazon Fire TV Stick VPN without root on the router:
Setting Up Amazon Fire TV Stick VPN on Router
To setup your Fire TV Stick VPN on the router follow our step by step guide:
- Open your web browser >Type in the gateway address to your router (usually 192.168.XX.XX)
- Depending on your router UI, choose “Settings” or “Advanced Settings” > WAN
- Choose “PPTP” in connection type or protocol
- Leave other settings unchanged, including the “Get IP Automatically” option
- Move on to WAN DNS (Ask provider for SmartDNS settings), these will router your traffic through the Amazon Fire TV Stick VPN DNS rather than Google DNS
- Next, enter the Username & Password sent to you by the VPN provider upon registration
- Leaving other settings unchanged, move to the box that says “Server Address or Name” and enter the VPN server address for USA (your VPN service can provide you these details)
- Click “Apply” or “Save” whichever is used, then restart your router. When the router restarts your traffic will now be passing through then US based VPN server.
Install Google Play on Fire TV without ROOT
Although there are two ways to install Google Play on your Amazon FireTV stick, we will go with the easier trick using your Android smartphone or tablet PC. To install Google Play on FireTV stick using your Android device here is what to do:
- Download & Save the Google Play Store APK on your phone or tablet
- Go to Google Play Store on your Android device and install “Apps2Fire” app
- Launch Apps2Fire app on your phone or tablet
- Go to your Amazon FireTV stick Settings > System > Developer Options > turn on ADB Debugging & Apps from Unknown Sources
- Go back to Settings > System > About > Network > Remember or write down your FireTV Stick IP Address
- Go to the Apps2Fire app on your Android device, in the menu bar scroll left to SETUP
- In the empty field type in the IP Address of your FireTV stick, then click save
- You should now be connected to your FireTV Stick via Apps2Fire
- Click the Upload/Install from File system arrow
- Choose the Google Play APK you saved in step 1
- You should get two option “Install” or “Upload”, tap Upload
- Let the file Upload & Install on your FireTV (Please wait! This may take up to 10 minutes)
- Once completed, go back to your Amazon FireTV Home
- Download ES File Explorer on your FireTV
- Open ES File Explorer and scroll to the Download folder
- You should see the Google Play Store APK here,
- Click on the icon, then click “Install” (another “Install” button may appear click that also)
- Once completed just tap “Open”
- You should now be able to see Google Play Store on your FireTV Home Screen
- Enjoy downloading your favorite apps
You can also watch the video tutorial below and follow the same steps to install Google Play on Amazon FireTV without ROOT.
*Do remember that not all Google Play Store apps will work on the Amazon Fire TV Stick
How to Install Kodi Fire TV Stick using ES File Explorer App
Here is the complete step by step guide you can follow to install Kodi on Fire TV or Fire TV Stick successfully.
- Enable your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick on your TV.
- Follow the setup process by mentioning your Amazon credentials if you are installing setup for first time.
- Go to Settings>System> Developer>ABD Debugging and turn on Apps from unknown source.
- Search ES File Explorer with the help of search box given at the top of screen.
- Install free ES File Explorer then open it again and click add favorite
- The ES File explorer window will be opened on the right side of screen
- Now use your remote to navigate to the link then download Kodi and click the link
- A new page will be opened, go to more tab and click that button.
- Now click open in new window and complete the installation process
- Open Kodi to make sure it is working efficiently
Amazon Fire TV Official Regions
Although it offers a huge range of entertainment, the Fire TV Stick is limited to a handful of regions. This means that if you try to use the Fire TV stick outside these official regions you will be shown a geo-restrictions message. The official Amazon website indicates that the Fire TV stick works only in:
• United States
• United Kingdom
• Austria (Fire TV Stick only)
Top 10 Amazon Fire TV Apps to Try Out
Amazon Fire TV offers numerous apps for users to get into the cord cutting habit, with the following apps built-in and available to download through the Amazon store:
1. Amazon Instant
6. ES File Explorer
7. ZenMate VPN
8. Fire TV Stick Remote
9. BBC iPlayer
10. Cartoon HD
With a huge arsenal of video and music streaming apps available over the Amazon Fire TV stick, still, none you can use outside the 5 official regions. So, if you bought your Fire TV stick in UK you will be unable to watch anything but YouTube on it when you go back home.
Amazon Fire TV VPN – Wrapping It Up
The Fire TV Stick needs little effort from its owner when unblocking apps on the device. If you want the complete online streaming experience, consider using an Amazon Fire TV VPN. Most VPN services now provide desktop & mobile apps for you to easily cast your media from your devices. You can also configure all VPN services on router level so you can use your Fire TV stick and Fire TV on all your devices.
Did you find our blog helpful? Did you have any issues configuring the Amazon Fire TV VPN without Root? Leave us your comments and feedback below and let us know if you need help with subscribing to or using Amazon Fire Stick.