The Apple TV is Apple Inc.’s flagship streaming device that can be either used on its own or can be used with one of Apple’s desktop, laptop or iOS devices to stream media on a TV. Apple TV devices’ offer access to various trending streaming services including YouTube, Netflix, HBO, BBC iPlayer, Fox, ABC, NBC, ESPN, UFC, NBA, SkySports, and many others.
Now, although everything is hunky dory in North America, Select regions of South America, UK, Australia& some countries of Europe, other parts of the world are graced with geo-restrictions when accessing most Apple TV apps. This means you cannot access the Apple TV apps outside their official regions due to copyright issues. For instance, HBO Now will not work in Asia and Sky network apps will not work anywhere outside the UK.
This brings us an Apple TV VPN Setup to unblock geo-restricted apps on Apple’s streaming box when outside any of the official regions. To find the best one for your region browse through our exclusive AppleTV VPN provider reviews:
5.0 / 5.0
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
2.5 / 5.0
| || |
Apple TV VPNs That Support Upto All 4th Generation Devices
Since there are 4 generations of the Apple TV streaming box, it is important that you pick a VPN service that works with your model. We went through the top 10 Vpn apple tv providers and concluded with the top three providers below, all four based on different criteria.
ExpressVPN is renowned for its turbo speed streaming and torrent servers, allowing you to stream media from various regions across North America & Europe. The provider is not only our top recommended AppleTV VPN but also establishes a brilliant server network across the US fans can unblock Netflix, HULU, HBO, NBA, WWE Network and hundreds of other services from anywhere in the world.
ExpressVPN is compatible with all 4 generation Apple TV devices and does not present issues in configuration as all guides are available on their website support. Express customer support can also help you configure the VPN live through their on-site chat support. ExpressVPN is also compatible with iPhones, Macs, Macbooks, iPods with iPads with compatible apps available for latest operating systems.
Offering one of the largest VPN server networks across the world, PureVPN is all big numbers. There are some 550+ servers to connect to across the US, UK, EuropeanUnion, Australia, Middle East and South East Asia. Apart from their huge server footprint, the brand is highly compatible with all 4 generation Apple TV boxes. There are proper manuals & guides for users available with illustrated examples to setup the Apple TV VPN through the app or manually.
PureVPN is also known for its added value features including a superb ad-blocker, the exclusive stealth protocol, internet kill switch & split tunneling plus many interesting features. Have a browse through our PureVPN review for more.
On our list because of its high speed US server network, IPVanish offers a super speed VPN network in the United States allowing you to stream all US based channels in an instant. IPVanish is compatible with all models of the Apple TV leading up to the 4th generation box.
Offering some 190+ servers across the US (see US server list on right for locations), IPVanish is a serious contender in our list of AppleTV VPN providers. The sheer speed of IPVanish servers is the primary reason it lands at number 3 in our ratings. There are dedicated VPN apps available to users who wish to mirror their iOS or Mac screens to the Apple TV rather play directly.
4) Ivacy VPN
Ivacy is a tough cookie when it comes to economy, attractive at both price and server coverage. Available for a super $1.66/month when bought yearly, Ivacy is one of the cheapest vpn apple tv provider sin case you are on a budget. Do take care as speed may suffer during peak hours consider manually configuring Ivacy on your Apple iOS and Mac devices for better connectivity.
Ivacy VPN also offers dedicated apps for all Apple devices including iOS & Mac. Illustrated guides are available in Ivacy’s support section including guides for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Apple TV devices. Check out Ivacy’s brilliant saver pricing plans if you’re looking for a cheaper VPN alternative.
The Best VPN for Apple TV Streaming
There are 2 ways to unblock and access geo-restricted apps on Apple TV devices:
- Install VPN app(automatic) or Configure(manual)the AppleTV VPN on your iOS/Mac and mirror from the device
- Configure the VPN on your router
But, before we get to that lets look at the 5 most important features to consider before getting VPN for your device.
- Server Network
Having servers in ideal locations like the USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Netherlands etc. is very useful considering you may want to access various channels, internet radio stations and VoD websites from around the world.
I usually watch TV shows, football and movies over four different VoD services(HBO Now US, Netflix US, BBC iPlayer and beINSports US), so US and UK VPN servers are essential. Consider choosing an Apple TV VPN with a worldwide server network.
Another important aspect of your VPN provider is the speed infrastructure behind the service. This can be tested easily using:
- a simple broadband speed test (to check speed experienced in your browser)
- a torrent client (to check peer to peer download speed)
- any 1 hour YouTube video (to check streaming speed & buffering)
- a 25 MB file sent overa test email sent to yourself (to check file upload speed)
- a Skype call made to a family member, colleague or friend (to check VoIP call quality)
The good news is that you can achieve all this in less than 20 minutes. SO have a go with our 5 best VPN for Apple TV, try their free trials & money back guarantees to test the service over your broadband connection.
2. Tunneling Protocols
Tunneling Protocols are essential to ensure that your real IP address& location are secured, plus this feature enhances data security through encryption. There are various tunneling protocols available including PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, IKEv2, OpenVPN and few others offering a different mix of speed & security.
For Apple device users’ it is essential to choose an AppleTV VPN that offers more choice, since the company does not offer built-incompatibility with PPTP,SSTP and OpenVPN. Apple iOS devices and Mac devices only offer IKEv2, L2TP and IPSec protocols, while, OpenVPN can be configured using your VPN provider app or the OpenVPN client.
3. Apple TV VPN Apps for Mac & iOS
It is essential that your VPN on Apple TV offers apps for both iOS &Mac OSx devices, since these can make the process very simpler. You can simply install the vpn apple tv app on your respective device and connect through to any server with a simple click.
Apps can make unblocking Apple TV apps easier using the mirror feature now available on all Mac & iOS devices.
4. Customer Support
Always available customer support is essential in case you ever face issues using or configuring your AppleTV VPN. Most brands take customer service very seriously and have service available 24/7/365, so that you are never left hanging in case of an issue when using Apple TV through a VPN tunnel.
Do remember that even the fastest VPN service for Apple TV may not have adequate support channels. It is very important for you to check this feature out in person to determine if customer support provided by the VPN service id adequate.
Apple TV VPN Setup
The Apple TV device is not designed to offer VPN functionality. So, you can setup your Apple TV VPN either the hard way or take the easy way out.
- Configure the VPN on your router, or
- Configure VPN on your Mac, PC, Laptop or iOS devices
How to Setup Apple TV VPN on Router (The Hard Way)
Setting up the vpn apple tv service on your Router definitely requires some effort and some acquaintance with router firmware settings. Usually any router with VPN protocol support will do but consider from the following list of routers:
- Netgear Genie
Let’s get your router powered up with your AppleTV VPN:
- Subscribe to a VPN for Apple TV
- You will either require a DDWRT router or another router that supports PPTP, OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocols – We have used an Asus RT-AC66U Router
- Open a new browser windows and access you Router Gateway Settings by typing “192.168.1.1”in the address bar
- If prompted for a username & password turn over your router and you will find them printed on the tag
- Once logged into the Router Settings, from the left hand menu select Advanced Settings >WAN
- In the Basic Config section change WAN Connection type to “PPTP”
- For the 3 options listed below, tick:
- Enable WAN: Yes
- Enable NAT: Yes
- Enable UPNP: Yes
- In the next section, tick the “Get the WAN IP automatically” to Yes
- In the ‘WAN DNS’ menu, check‘ Connect to DNS server automatically’ to ‘No’ and insert following DNS Server 1 “8.8.8”, DNS Server 2 “126.96.36.199”
- In the Account Setting Menu, fill in your VPN Username & Password as shown above
- In the PPTP Options box, leave the “Auto”option or select “MPPE 128”encryption
- In the Special Requirement from ISP menu, enter the VPN Server you wish to connect to US, UK, Canada etc. (request the server list from your vpn apple tv provider)
- Click Apply and restart your router, your VPN should be ready to go.
How to Setup Apple TV VPN Using AirPlay (without Router)
Setting up your Apple TV VPN without a router is not only easier but faster. Thanks to Apple embedding the AirPlay Mirror option in their iOS and Mac OSx devices, playing your favorite media has never been easier. To setup your VPN on Apple TV without the router, here is what to do:
- Install the VPN app for your device i.e. iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod)or Mac OSx (Mac desktop,MacBook)
- Connect your VPN to the region you wish to unblock apps from e.g. US server for Netflix & HBO or UK Server for BBC iPlayer
- Make sure both your device and the Apple TV are connected to the same WI-FI network
- In case of iOS devices make sure you have the relevant streaming apps on your device rather than installing them on the Apple TV
- Turn on your AirPlay feature by going to your Apple TV Settings>AirPlay>ON
- Once the VPN is connected:
- Mac OSx users should simply logon to the websites they wish to stream, then click the AirPlay icon in the Menu Bar
- iOS users should swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Center, then tap AirPlay. Launch the app you want to mirror e.g. Netflix
- See your screen mirrored on the TV screen.
In a Nutshell
Consider an AppleTV VPN to unblock all geo-restricted entertainment including your favorite videos, music and radio stations from anywhere in the world. We hope tour guide is helpful for VPN suggestion and setting up the service on your streaming box. In case you would like us to improve the guide or add new sections leave us your precious feedback in the comments section below.