As you plunge into the world of technology, you will find that the ugly side of this world is really frightening. From the governments spying on everything that you do to numerous cyber criminals trying to steal your data, the online world is definitely filled with various dangers.
Now that everything is connected through internet, it is important that you protect your privacy and sensitive data before going online.
Many privacy advocates preach the importance of using a VPN and they are correct. A VPN is no longer just used for business purposes; it offers numerous benefits while allowing you to use the web safely.
What is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an extension of your private network. It creates encrypted tunnels between your device and remote servers, through which all your internet traffic is routed.
A VPN service has numerous servers located around the world. When you connect to any of these servers, your original IP address is masked and replaced with the IP address of the VPN server. This spoofs your virtual location, allowing you to jump digital fences while staying anonymous.
Benefits of Using VPN Software
You can use a VPN for various purposes and we have highlighted some of the benefits that you can avail while using VPN software:
- VPN will keep anonymous over the Web.
- Hide your online activity from governments, ISPs, & other surveillance agencies.
- Help you unblock geo restricted & internet censored websites.
- Encrypt your internet traffic & keep it safe from cyber attacks.
- Allow you to use P2P & torrents safely
Top 5 VPN Software
There are numerous VPN services that are available in the market. You can be spoiled for choice while searching for VPN software. To help you out, we have picked our top 5 VPN services based on performance and features, and we reckon that these are the best VPNs you can use today.
5.0 / 5.0
4.0 / 5.0
| || |
3.5 / 5.0
| || |
3.0 / 5.0
| || |
2.5 / 5.0
| || |
Factors that Make the Best VPN Software
If you are still confused about picking the best VPN software, here are some factors that you should take into consideration. Using these factors, you can narrow down your search from VPN and choose the best among the lot.
- Number of Servers: the more number of servers offered by a VPN, the better. With wide server spread, you can connect to any region and unblock websites of your choice.
- Performance (Speeds Offered): this is one of the key factors in selecting the best VPN client. VPNs are known to reduce your internet speeds but the best are the ones that don’t hinder your browsing, streaming or any other activity, and deliver excellent performance.
- Price: Top VPN software should offer great value for your money. Therefore, price matters a lot and you should select the one that offers great features and performance at a fair price.
- Free Trials & Money Back Guarantee: Although it is difficult to find VPNs that offer free trials. Having said that, you can request for at least 24 hour free trail to test the service. Alternatively, money back guarantee also makes up for the loss of free trial and the best VPNs are the ones that provide a minimum of 7 day money back guarantee.
- Protocols & Encryptions: one of the ways a VPN defends your data from hackers and others alike is through secure protocols and encryption. Best VPN software should offer OpenVPN protocol and 256 bit AES encryption, as they are considered the most secure protocol and encryption level.
- Zero Log Policy: it is important that you use a VPN service that does not keep any activity logs. These logs pertain to all your actions performed over the internet. Best VPN software is one that has zero log policy and keeps minimal user information.
- Customer Support: the hallmark of premium VPN software is to offer great customer support. Some VPN providers offer around the clock live chat support while others support their customers through ticketing system, tutorials, support articles, and other medium.
- High Compatibility: a VPN should allow you to protect your privacy and data on any device of your choice. This is where high compatibility matters and best VPN software should work on your PC, Mac, Android, iOS, routers, and all other devices that use the internet.
- Port Forwarding: there are various firewalls that block certain ports and not allow your internet traffic to pass through. With the help of Port Forwarding, you can bypass these firewalls.
- Easy-to-Use VPN Client: with high compatibility comes the ease of use of the VPN software. Almost all VPN services today provide exclusive clients and apps for designated operating systems. The best VPN software is one that is easy to install and use.
- Number of Multi Logins: various VPN services offer different simultaneous connections that you can use. The higher the number of multi logins offered, the better.
- Internet Kill Switch: this is an important feature as it stops any unsecured data from passing through. Internet kill switch halts all internet traffic to pass through in case your VPN connection drops for some reason. Many VPN services offer this feature as an add-on and we recommend that you look for this feature when selecting the best VPN software.
A VPN is a handy tool for all internet users and with the passage of time; it is becoming increasing important to use a VPN. In light of increased governmental surveillances, implementation of mandatory data retention laws, and the use of advance technologies by cyber criminals, it is imperative that you safeguard your privacy and sensitive data.
With the help of a VPN, you can negate majority of these threats posed by cyber goons, governments, and others alike. When you download VPN client on any of your devices, you create encrypted tunnels and become anonymous over the internet.
We have listed some of the best VPNs that you can choose from. In addition to this, you can use the factors that make up a top VPN client and narrow down your search for the best VPN software.